We are proud to be members of the Green Tourism Scheme, which is the first independently audited green accreditation scheme for the tourism industry. The Green Tourism Scheme has over 150 measures of good sustainable practice related to running a successful tourism related operation.
Our Sustainability Practices
Our ongoing commitment to ensuring that we operate in as sustainable manner as possible.
From our policies on laundry, plastic, we understand our responsibilities and ensure this is at the heart of our operations.
At Barony Castle Hotel, we recognise the impact of our business on the environment and are committed to conducting the hotel in a way that ensures environmental sustainability.
We are undertaking the following actions to strive to responsibly lessen our impact on the environment wherever we sensibly can, by:
- We are Factoring the environment in our everyday decision making at management meetings and with our team members.
- We are Raising awareness and encouraging our team members to carry out more sustainable business practices by informing and involving them at induction and at regular training sessions.
- Recycling paper, newspapers, glass, batteries, fluorescent and long life bulbs, cans and printer cartridges.
- Operating a ‘switch off’ policy for administration staff to turn off computer equipment and printers when not in use.
- Reducing our usage of harmful cleaning chemicals and replacing these with eco-friendly products wherever possible.
- Reducing our usage of paper by printing double sided.
- Encouraging our guests to explore the local attractions by public transport, bicycle or on foot by providing information on walks, cycle routes and cycle hire information and bus timetables at Reception. We will provide walking maps to local attractions in our room directories.
We will continue to:
- Use low energy light bulbs in public areas.
- Monitor our energy consumption of gas, electricity and water.
- Use electronic mail where possible to reduce the use of paper.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and taps.
- Buy in bulk and using a single supplier to reduce the number of deliveries.
We are working on projects to:
- Update our website with green travel information e.g. local bicycle hire.
- Continue to reduce our energy consumption by 10% by looking at energy saving devices such as movement lighting, continuing implementing LED lighting.
- Use more organic produce, seasonal vegetables and local produce.
- Use recycled paper for brochures.
- Get involved in local community projects.
- Reduce water use by 10% by continuing to fit water saving devices in toilets.
- Eco single use bathroom products.
- We will always comply with the law in all our actions and will continuously review our policy to improve our environmental impact.
The Barony Castle Hotel is dedicated to balancing our commitment to our Green Policy without compromising on the comfort, standards and enjoyment of our guests.